You know the idea of a bucket list? All the things you want to do or try before you die?
A twitter conversation with fellow RC tragic @RTR085 just got me thinking about an R/C version.
So what’s on your R/C bucket list? What cars or classes do you want to own or race? What race tracks to you want to experience? What events would you love to enter? What experiences or road trips with your mates?
Here’s a few to get you going:
- Yatabe Arena: An easy one to add, given that the Worlds is going on there right now. And as one of the World’s most iconic venues, a ‘must’ on the bucket list. Probably 10th off-road by choice – but a 10th TC race, or even just to visit the venue and explore all it’s facilities would be amazing.
- XRAY Factory Raceway: amazing outdoor on-road, plus indoor on and off-road facilities, this is one place that would be incredible to race at. For choice, I’d say one of the EOS or ETS races that the venue hosts each year.
- NEO Race: If I could only pick one GP offroad event to attend (outside a Worlds), it woudl be the UK’s NEO race. Run annually on a purpose built (temporary) indoor track, it’s build a reputation as the unofficial indoor worlds. Track layouts are always amazing, atmosphere looks incredible. It’s on my list.
- Reedy Offroad Race: Any Reedy Race would be good – but this one is the big one. Top 24 drivers in the world, head to head racing for 3 days. Always at incredible venues. Bonus points if you get there in 2016 to see Kyle McBride take on the Invite class
- IIC Vegas Race: Surely the biggest and best indoor carpet TC race in the world? Scotty Ernst’s brainchild. The track itself doesn’t look anything special (I’d take an indoor ETS venue anyday) but the event, location, size, atmosphere? It’d be a ripper.
- World Champs: Any scale, any class, any venue. Always the best of the best of the best. I’ve seen a few from trackside (’89 St Ives and both 10th and 5th at Brendale, Qld in the 2000s) but never quite managed to race. That would be special.
- The Dirt Nitro Challenge: Biggest GP offroad race in the world. Completely insane tracks (yes tracks, there are three going simultaneously), best drivers in the world. What a buzz that would be.
- Aus Tracks: EP offroad it has to be St Ives, purely for the iconic nature of that facility – it’s long history of holding big races. For onroad, I can’t go past Littlehampton. Such character, such elevation gain. I’ve sat trackside and taken photos, but never quite managed to race there. One day.
- 5th scale onroad: Just because. They’re big. They look awesome. They move around a lot. I’d love to race one (not to own one…I’m not that rich!) one day.
- A fully “mechanic’d” GP buggy at a Nats. I love racing GP offroad. I just hate wrenching them (actually hate wrenching anything). If I have an Aus R/C racing bucket list item, it would be to compete at a GP Offroad Buggy Nats with a fully prepared and maintained car (by someone who knows what they’re doing)!
- Call a Worlds: it’s no secret that I love the sound of my own voice, and I love telling stories about R/C. That combined means I thoroughly enjoy race commentary…and what better place to do it that a World Championships? Imagine being on the microphone when the winner crosses the line? When the TQ is pulled from nowhere? Give me a microphone, a place to see the track (and the monitor) and let me at a Worlds.
Over to you….what’s on the R/C bucket list?